Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Well, this explain why I shouldn't clean...

So, here is the scoop. I had launched a station core in to space in to a 99km orbit. I then bumped the space-bar and stage off the large orange booster which was floating along in orbit. Nice.

Solution 1: I boost the station core to 100km so that there wouldn't be a collision risk. Great!

Well, not quite. Seems that the game won't let me lock on to the station because the 'debris' from the booster was too close.

Still with me? Good.

Next (yesterday's post) I built an interception rocket, which failed miserably (I did save the Kerbal though). So today, while laughing maniacally (I get to do that at work sometimes), an idea for a de-orbiting ship popped in to my head. I built it, and on the fourth(?) attempt got it in to orbit.


No wait, this one crashed.... oh yeah I needed some boosters...


Well, not THIS one, but eventually I made it work and got to space!


So the concept was that I would snuggle on up to the space junk booster, and using the legs, cradle the debris and use the RCS to deorbit all of it in to the atmosphere...


See how nice this angle is? Well, there was a couple minor issues.
1. I had to realign a couple times.
2. I had to close about 3km once I was realigned
3. I had this handy booster engine that still had some fuel in it.
4. I fired it up as I entered the planet shadow
5. I realize I forgot batteries. 
6. Well, I was nicely aligned...

And now one large dangerous orbit is now a dozen small dangerous objects. Orbiting between 92km and 108km. 






No comments:

Post a Comment