Tuesday, March 26, 2013

To the moon Alice!

Ok, not the Mun, but instead Minmus. Why? Because Mr. Wizard just did and it seemed like a good idea.

So, first we build a probe, stick it on top of a ridiculously overpowered rocket (this is the same one I use to launch space station parts) and point it to space.








Now I plot and burn a couple times to aim at the green rocket we call Minmus, which is a bit of a challenge since it is both elliptical and not on Kerbin's equatorial plane.




Once in orbit I plot a nice large flat area to land on...


Now for few pretty pictures while I descend...




Since I brought a ridiculous amount of fuel with I still had the interstage with me to descend to the surface. I cut it loose at about 600m above the surface and battled with the throttle on the way down (the gravity is almost non-existent here)






I failed to fit the legs right so I am teetering on the engine nozzle. Eh, details.

Now to pull off the probe using the RCS unit on top. 



Then I just disconnect the RS unit and drive out from under it (which was a bit stressful as I almost dumped the rover over doing it because it was caught in the decoupler ring)


A quick drive around, then I park to recharge until I go for a drive during a later session. The gravity makes this a very dangerous to drive here. Even deploying the solar panels almost flipped the rover over. 




Ta Da!

No comments:

Post a Comment